1. Am I required to be an Alaskan resident to apply?
    1. No

  2. Do you have to be a US citizen to apply?
    1. Yes, you must be a US citizen to apply as a State Trooper.

  3. Can I apply when I am 20?
    1. Yes, as long as you turn 21 by the start of the academy

  4. Is there a maximum age limit to apply?
    1. No, as long as you a physically capable to perform the duties of an Alaska State Trooper.

  5. Would I be able to transfer my experience as a Police Officer from another state or would I be required to go to the police academy in Alaska?
    1. Provided your academy meets APSC training standards, you would be attending the full 18 week academy, though you would be considered a State Trooper not a recruit and paid as such.

  6. What type of retirement plan does your department currently offer? How many years are required to work to receive full retirement benefits?
    1. We currently have a 401K style retirement, consisting of 3 separate investment accounts. The primary account, known as Tier IV, includes a state matched contribution plan, managed by Great West Investments of Alaska. State employees are vested at 5 years. 25 years of service for full medical retirement (any age for public safety employees only).

  7. Can I apply while I am still active duty military? A DD-214 is a required document; I will not have my DD-214 until discharged.
    1. Yes, within the background packet it will ask the to/from of military service, if we see you are still active we will not ask for a DD-214 until we know you are discharged. You will need to provide a letter from your commander stating when you are expected to be released and the type of discharge you are expected to receive.

  8. Can I be hired on directly as Alaska Wildlife Trooper or do I have to be hired as Alaska State Trooper first?
    1. If Hired on as AWT, you’ll attend the DPS Academy then complete a full AST Field Training and Evaluation Program, followed by an AWT Field Training and Evaluation Program.

  9. Is there a height or weight requirement?
    1. No, as long as you are physically capable to perform the duties of an Alaska State Trooper.

  10. I saw on Facebook there is now a delayed entry program, how does this process work?
    1. We do have a delayed entry program; applicants eligible for delayed entry are: US Military, student (attending higher education) or under an employment contract. You would apply for the academy that starts before you complete your prior commitment. We have 2 academies a year, Spring (starts mid-February) and Fall (starts late July). The applications for these academies open approximately 7-11 months prior to the given academy (we have 2 times we accept applications for the given academy). You would have to be available for all testing, including the background investigation phase (conducted over the phone and through email) and if selected for the testing in Anchorage. If you receive a confirmed job offer but are unable to attend the academy due to prior commitment (military, higher education, or employment contract) the department will hold your position until the next academy, dependent upon approval of delayed entry.

  11. I wish to be a pilot for the Alaska State Troopers; how do I become a pilot for the department?
    1. Within our department we have both commissioned (State Trooper) and civilian aircraft pilots with the vast majority being commissioned. In order to qualify for consideration into the DPS pilot program you must have a 2nd class medical, a private pilot certificate, and at least 200 hours with 100 hours of that being Alaska time. The minimum number of hours will depend on the type of aircraft authorized to fly. As an example, 200 hours would be the minimum for the Super Cubs or 172's, 3000 hours and an ATP certificate would be the minimum to fly as PIC in the King Air. The primary flight crew for the King Air and Astar Helicopters are civilian pilot positions. There are also a few civilian pilot positions in Western Alaska locations like Bethel and Kotzebue. That being said there are commissioned state troopers that are checked out in every aircraft we have to include the Astar's and King Air. The commissioned DPS pilot use the department aircraft like patrol vehicles. Our aircraft section is currently the largest of any state police agency in the US with 42 aircraft. We have a wide variety which looks a little like this:

      • 1 King Air 350ER
      • 2 Eurocopter Astar B3
      • 2 Cessna Caravans
      • 3 Robinson R44
      • 2 Cessna 172 (180 horse)
      • 1 Cessna 182 (285 horse)
      • 1 Piper Saratoga
      • 1 Cessna 206
      • Handful of Cessna 185's
      • Fleet of Piper Super Cubs

      There are civilian pilot positions that become available, but they seem to be few and far between. If you have aspirations of becoming a pilot for the State Troopers in Alaska, by far the best way is through the application process to become a trooper. If hired, once you are off of probation (one year of employment), and when / if in a location where there is a need for another DPS pilot you could go through the process of selection and training to become one. Although there is no guarantee of becoming a DPS pilot when hired, as flight authorization lies solely with DPS, the department is continuously in need of more pilots. There is an additional duty pay which all authorized commissioned pilot received if under the rank of Sgt., it is 5% of your hourly pay rate.

  12. Do I need prior law enforcement experience?
    1. No, to apply for recruit, no law enforcement experience is required.

  13. Does AST have any auxiliary positions?
    1. No, all of our Troopers are full time.

  14. Once I apply online, how long does it usually take to be given a date to go to Alaska for the other parts of the process?
    1. The application process usually takes 7-8 months from start to finish. The background investigation phase which is conducted over the phone and through email is the longest phase of the process, usually taking approximately 5 months. Once this phase is completed we will know if you are selected for the remainder of the testing in Anchorage. For this phase we will ask that you be available for approximately 10-12 days in Anchorage.

  15. Realizing the application process is currently closed, would it be possible to get an application packet so when they open I can submit all my paperwork?
    1. Unfortunately, we are not able to send the background packet until you successfully complete the application online or by hard copy.

  16. I do not have internet access; can I apply by hard copy?
    1. Yes, hard copy application can be mailed to you or you can print it off from Workplace Alaska. Though you will need internet access during the background investigation phase.

  17. How often do you hire?
    1. We hire twice per year; Spring (February) and Fall (July) academies.

  18. Does Alaska State Troopers have an internship program?
    1. Yes, the Department of Public Safety frequently has internship position. When available they are listed on Workplace Alaska.

  19. Do I get a preference on my first duty station?
    1. The recruitment supervisors will ask your preference, among the 3 training post of Soldotna, Fairbanks, and Palmer. The department will try their best to get you your number one choice; ultimately, it is up to the departments needs.

  20. Is there anything I can do before I turn 21?
    1. If you are an Alaskan resident and over 18; you can apply for a position called Public Safety Technician (PST). PST’s work hand-and-hand with the Wildlife Troopers and majority are seasonal positions. These positions are usually open early spring and can be found on Workplace Alaska.

  21. Do you have a written test?
    1. Yes, please visit https://www.publicsafetytesting.com/ before applying on Workplace Alaska to complete the test.
    2. If you reside outside of Alaska, Idaho, or Washington State, you will need to contact Public Safety Testing directly to coordinate to have the test proctored in your local area OOS@publicsafetytesting.com.

  22. I recently took a written exam with another department, not through Public Safety Testing; would the scores from that exam be accepted?
    1. Unfortunately, written exams not taken through Public Safety Testing will not be accepted.

  23. Does a reserve or part-time law enforcement officer qualify for lateral?
    1. No, to qualify for lateral you must be a certified law enforcement officer full-time for a minimum of one year.

  24. Would any of my military experience transfer over for pay and benefits?
    1. Unfortunately, the retirement system Tier IV is a defined contribution, military time will not count towards retirement. Military experience will not increase your pay, though your experience will make you more competitive during promotions, and selection for specialized assignments.

  25. What are the educational requirements? What type of college degree should I obtain?
    1. The minimum educational requirement to apply is a high school diploma or GED. There is not a specific degree required to obtain as any degree can be useful in law enforcement. Education incentive pay of 3.75% pay increase is currently offered to Troopers possessing a Bachelor’s Degree.

  26. Who do I address my cover letter to?
    1. To Whom it may concern or The Recruitment Unit.

  27. Will my Military Police experience allow me to be considered a lateral?
    1. Unfortunately, no. A State Trooper Lateral is distinguished from State Trooper Recruit by having completed an acceptable basic law enforcement training program. To qualify you must possess an active police certification and at least one year of patrol experience as a full time police officer in a certified State or Municipal law enforcement agency. Special Agents who have successfully completed their prospective training academy and at least one year of law enforcement experience with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), and Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) are eligible for Lateral Hire.

  28. What is your tattoo policy?
    1. As of right now, we do not have a tattoo policy.

  29. If I am unable to get my background packet postmarked by the deadline are extensions granted?
    1. Unfortunately, no extensions will be granted on the postmark deadline.

  30. Can letters of recommendations be mailed or emailed directly to the Recruitment Unit?
    1. Yes, letters of recommendations may be mailed or emailed directly to the Recruitment Unit. You can also send recommendations in with your background packet.

  31. I am interested in an administrative position with Public Safety; where would I find those applications?
    1. Applications for any State of Alaska position are found on Workplace Alaska, https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/alaska

Back to top