The A.L.E.T. program costs include all tuition, housing, meals, equipment, and supplies. Tuition is reduced by students maintaining the facility, without a paid janitorial staff. Students are required to maintain their personal living quarters, building, vehicle fleet and common areas to military inspection standards.
Basic skills that one must posses in order to succeed:
- Ability to read and comprehend Federal and State laws
- Ability to use senses, and demonstrate sound reasoning and judgment
- Act and think quickly in emergency situations
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing
- Operate a motor vehicle with a valid drivers license
- Differentiate colors
- General computer literacy
- General mathematics
- Leadership abilities
- Physical conditioning runs from 5:10 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. (Monday- Friday).
- Classroom and practical training is scheduled from 7:50 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday-Friday. Testing and driving instruction occurs on weekends.
- Study time and additional practical training happens most weekday evenings from 6p.m. to 10p.m.
Students should be able to perform the following minimum physical fitness standards upon arrival at the Academy: 32 push-ups in one minute, 32 sit-ups in one minute, and a 1.5 mile run less than 14:29.. These are only suggested minimum requirements, the average entry score is traditionally much higher.
Academy students must maintain an overall average of 70% or higher to graduate and receive Alaska Police Standards Certification. After two weeks, students who have less than a 70% average are subject to dismissal. Students who fail any tests will be placed on "academic probation" and receive a test failure memorandum. Copies may be sent to their employer.
Students are required to comply with the rules and regulations of the Department of Public Safety and the University of Alaska, Southeast. They are subject to the following evaluations:
- Performance evaluations
- Weekly inspections
- Weekly, midterm, and final academic evaluations
- Firearms proficiency testing
- Driving proficiency testing
- Practical performance testing