Legal Advocacy and Pro Bono Legal Services
The Council supports civil legal advocacy services and programs that provide training. The Council supports the Alaska Network on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault in providing legal advocacy through the Legal Advocacy Project (LAP) to help increase the ability of victims of domestic violence and sexual assault to effectively access and participate in the civil and criminal justice system. The LAP acts as a resource for advocates at victim services programs throughout Alaska. The Network also provides Pro Bono Legal Services to women in need of civil legal services. Find out more by visiting the Alaska Network on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assaultís webpage and going to Legal Project.
What Is A Legal Advocate
Legal advocates are available to help women obtain a protective order, by providing women with the appropriate paperwork and accompanying women to protective order hearings. The legal advocate can also provide women with information about where to obtain child support/custody case paperwork.
Advocates are not lawyers, but may be able to help you obtain no or low cost legal services through ANDVSA's Pro Bono Program. For more information, please call 586-6623 and ask for the legal advocate.
Legal Advocacy Resources
Click on the links below or call the phone numbers listed for more information.
- Alaska Court System Family Law Self-Help Center
- Alaska Immigration Justice Project: Call 907-272-9431 or 1-800-478-9431 for more information
- Alaska Law Help
- Alaska Legal Services Call 586-6425
- Free Legal Clinics at Alaska Legal Services
- Alaska Violent Crimes Compensation Board Call 1-800-764-3040
- ANDVSA Pro Bono Program and Legal Information and Referral Hotline
- Child Support Enforcement Division Call 465-5887
- Disability Law Center of Alaska Call 1-800-478-1234
- Public Advocacy Office Call 465-4173
Mailing address: P.O. Box 111200, Juneau, AK 99811-1200 ††† Phone: (907) 465-4356
Physical address: 450 Whittier Street, Room 105 Juneau, AK 99801-1200