STOP Grant Overview
CDVSA has received the Services*Training*Officers*Prosecutors (STOP) formula grant from the US Department of Justice, Office of Violence Against Women (OVW) since the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) 1994 legislation. The formula is based on available funds and state population.
STOP formula funding is for training: “To assist States, state and local courts (including juvenile courts), Indian tribal governments, tribal courts, and units of local government to develop and strengthen effective law enforcement and prosecution strategies to combat violent crimes against women, and to develop and strengthen victim services in cases involving violent crimes against women.” STOP expanded requirements for provision of services to LGBTQ populations and has a requirement for consulting with tribes, and requires that states comply with federal Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) regulations.
Each state is required to have a Three Year Implementation Plan (Plan) developed in consultation and coordination with:
- state coalitions for domestic violence and for sexual assault (ANDVSA)
- law enforcement entities, prosecution offices, and State and local courts
- tribal governments
- representatives of underserved populations, including culturally specific populations, and
- other entities that the State or the Attorney General identifies as needed for planning,
- coordination with Sexual Assault Services Programs (SASP) and Family Violence Prevention and Services Act (FVPSA) grants, and requires documentation of consultation and coordination.
Mailing address: P.O. Box 111200, Juneau, AK 99811-1200 Phone: (907) 465-4356
Physical address: 450 Whittier Street, Room 105 Juneau, AK 99801-1200